TCPD generally plan, control and ensure harmonious, sustainable and orderly development of sustainable human settlements management of all human settlement in Ghana.
• Initiate and formulate land use standards for various categorizes of physical development.
• We prepare spatial framework and strategies for the integration of socio economic and physical development for both urban and rural areas.
• Preparation of structure plans to guide the preparation of planning scheme.
• We prepare planning schemes and ensure its implementation to promote ordely human settlement development.
What are the challenges facing the Department?
• Lack of base maps for plan preparation.
• Traditional Authorities have allocated public right of spaces to private developers within the entire approved planning scheme areas.
• Private surveyors and draughts men don’t respect the activity of the department as they condone and connive with the public to demarcate roads and public right of spaces into residential plots.
• Nature reserves and waterways are given out and developed as residential uses.
• Virgin lands ripped for planning schemes at Ofaakor are being demarcated by land owners and their agents after all efforts to stop them.
• Land guards scare officers of the department to operate effectively.
• District assembly not giving the office the needed support since the revenue generated nothing goes to the department for office operation.
• Sub division and rezoning of plot without recognition to the department.
• Planning scheme preparation and implementation by quack surveyors in the district without approval of the district assembly.
• Ignorance of developers on the operations and functions of the land sector agencies and the limits of the customary lands secretariat.